September 22, 2013

TheaterYou production of Aktrisa

An amazing production by a local amateur theater.  Duo of actors in a 3-part play.  Performed without a hitch.  I feel privileged to have an opportunity to capture it.
Technically it was a challenge.  Low light, multiple cameras (Nikon D600 and Canon HF S200) which required matching color and sensitivity.

What worked:
  • Limiting video AGC on Canon HFS200 to 10db, sometimes even to 6 or 3db.  Zebra pattern helps a lot! I wish Nikon D600 had it.
  • Nikkor 24-85 proved to be a good video lens! AF was almost silent.  Used it at 35mm, F5.6 for wide shots.
  • Sonya did a good job operating D600 - I used a lot of her slow pans instead of my close shots - I do have a tendency to rush - need to slow it down.
  • Sony Vegas 12 Pro multi-track editing proved to be very efficient.  Loved it!
  • Sony Vegas 12 Pro color-matching plugin is awesome!
Made no difference or worse:
  • Connecting recorder to video camera offered no tangible benefits.  I set the camera audio level manually.  That of the recorder was on auto.  I still used sound file from the recorder.  Video camera track was adequate.
  • Setting DSLR and camcorder sensitivity to the same level was tough.  I had D600 ISO on 1600 to avoid high noise.  It proved to be too much although histogram of a shot I took seemed to be adequate.  I wish zebra was there on Nikon.
  • DSLR was set on constant AF with face recognition.  Worked OK although on few occasions focus was on a wrong person.  Call it operator error.
  • My efforts to set custom white balance on both HF S200 and D600 failed.  the Scene light had so many colors the balance on D600 and HFS200 never matched.  Next time I will just set it to one Kelvin value.
  • Overall I am not happy with D600 footage.  To prepare I read these reviews and was concerned about noise and moire.  Yet the resulting footage lacks...dynamic range.  I see blobs of colors with not enough details (when compared to HF S200!) in either highlights or shadows.  This makes no sense.  At all.  Oh and I forgot to reset picture style to totally neutral - I think I had it on Standard, but the effect could not be that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment