October 2, 2013

Monitor Calibration

I bet you've heard this before: "Thou Shalt Calibrate Your Monitor".  So how often did you act on this?  Aha!
I was always confused not only by the complexity of the procedure but also by the fact that it can be done on so many layers - you can adjust your monitor knobs, your graphics card driver has calibration controls, e.g. gamma, Windows (and I suspect others) offers some procedures, and, finally, there are dedicated hardware/software packages designed to do just that.
So today I am doing all of the above!

The Context

My work PC is also used as an HTPC, so it has a two monitors attached via HDMI/DVI: Dell 24" UltraSharp U2412M and Vizio 55" M551d-A2R.  I use the first to edit video and photos and the second to watch movies.  For Dell monitor color calibration is a must have, for 55" Vizio TV it is a just nice to have.  I run both off ATI Radeon HD5770.
I like both the Dell monitor and Vizio TV.  The monitor is non-glossy and color reproduction is nice.  The TV screen is glossy which I dislike, but the bevel is almost non-existent and colors are punchy.  I use the TV exclusively as a monitor and touched its Internet TV and 3D features only once.

Monitor Hardware/Driver/Windows

I will start with with low (monitor hardware) level, proceed to mid level of driver and Windows and will finish up with a dedicated application. 

#Dell U2412MVizio M551d-A2R
1Set color temp to 65000Picture
Picture Mode\Calibrated Dark\
Backlight-52
Brightness-50
Contrast-80
Color-50
Tint-0
Sharpness-60
\Color temp\Custom\512|512|512|512|512|512
\Advanced Picture\Off|Off|Off|Off|Off|Off|Auto
2 In CCC\
  My Digital Flat Panels\
    Display Color\
      Color Temperature Control
check Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)
In CCC\
  My Digital Flat Panels\
    Display Color\
      Color Temperature Control
check Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)
3 Control Panel\Display Color Calibration\
Gamma-adjusted
Brightness & Contrast
Brightness-10
Contrast-80
Color Balance-no changes
Control Panel\Display Color Calibration\
Gamma-adjusted
Brightness & Contrast
Brightness-65
Contrast-75
Color Balance-no changes


Spyder4Pro

I have got Spyder4Pro from Datacolor.  Software is version 4.5.4 released in Feb 1012.  Installing and following the instructions on the screen was straightforward.  Software informed me that it will set the color temperature of 5800 for both displays.  Here are the adjustments I was bound to make:

#Dell U2412MVizio M551d-A2R
1Brightness-23Brightness-84

As a result both displays look warmer.  And both ARE calibrated.  Let's see what it's like to use calibrated displays!
EDIT: So far not so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment