September 9, 2013

Photobooth. Where Do I Start?

My college reunion is coming.  Again.  So I thought I need to come up with something different this time.  How about automating picture taking as much as possible?  Photobooth seems to be popular, so why not? The good thing is that the event is in the park and I own a 10'x10' shelter (with walls!) ,which, I made sure, comes in neutral white, so it can be used as a light tent.  So, here is the  plan:
  • DSLR shoots tethered into laptop running Lightroom.  My thinking it will be triggered remotely.  Not sure the standard Nikon IR trigger will work in the sun.
  • A wired SB800 plays role of a CLS master triggering flashes mounted in the shelter.  Looks like two flashes firing in the upper front will be enough to create nice light.  Two more flashes will be firing into the back wall to create a high key background.  I am now thinking about mounting CLS master into a beauty dish for a better catchlight.
  • Lightroom applies development preset upon import.  I intend to offer customers live view on a big monitor
  • Given a non-profit nature of the event, I intend to charge for printing only.  Post event online delivery will be free.
This past weekend I tested the light with MK's help.  Now I need to develop the Lightroom preset, test printing and decide on pricing of prints!
Oh!  And here are the articles I read about the photobooth:

Also need props:
  • paper moustache, 
  • tiara, crown, hat
  • boa
  • oversized glasses
  • boxer gloves
Things to bring:
  • shelter,including canvas roof and walls
  • 4 slave flashes, 1 master
  • extra batteries
  • battery chargers
  • umbrella adapters
  • 1 stand for master flash
  • TTL cord
  • camera
  • tripod
  • AC adapter for camera
  • usb cable
  • laptop
  • laptop power supply
  • laptop mouse
  • laptop hood
  • 24" monitor
  • monitor hood
  • 1 stand for monitor
  • clamps to hold monitor
  • HDMI cable
  • printer
  • usb cable
  • photo paper
  • extra ink
  • gaffer tape
  • table
  • UPS
  • generator
  • props
  • business cards
  • knife, scissors

No comments:

Post a Comment