February 12, 2014

Planning a GH3 Test

Delivering value to my customers is my highest priority.  And shallow depth of field screams value.  At least I think so.  Even for event video.  So now I consider replacing (at least one of) my camcorders with a larger sensor camera.  The D600 and lenses I own proved to be a poor choice for shooting event video.  On the other hand I love the way my Canon VIXIA HF G10 does face recognition and auto-focus.  I am comfortable with its image quality provided I keep AGC below 10dB.  Offcourse given the size of its sensor it is not surprising the depth of field is big.  Anyway.  A separate audio recorder takes care of audio so I have no pressing need to have a camera with XLR inputs.  Here is what I am looking for in a video camera....

Usage Scenario

I shoot mostly event videos - meaning choice of shooting positions is limited, and I can not move freely.  Shoot is done in a relatively low light at 24p, typically in a conference room with a low ceiling and fluorescent lights. I have no more than 30min to setup equipment and lights.

Must Haves

  • Records 1080p @60fps
  • Continuous recording time of at least 1 hour;
  • Shallow depth of field to isolate the speaker, nice bokeh;  To me this means that I need a fast tele zoom lens.  A prime lens or a zoom slower than 2.8 will not cut it.
  • Overall awesome image quality - I am still working on the definition here...
  • Total manual control over shooting parameters - ISO/gain, exposure and aperture;
  • Most controversial - I hope to get a full time autofocus which would track a talking head.  Keep an eye on focus hunting - this would be a deal killer.
  • clean HDMI out for live broadcasts 
  • custom white balance
  • audio input, 3.5 mm TRS is OK
  • Manual control of audio levels
  • Audio level indicators
  • camera + tele zoom should be under $2K

Nice to Have

  • (almost must-have) Focus peaking just in case I focus manually
  • (almost must-have) Zebras with custom % (at least 70% and 100%) to gauge exposure
  • Live histogram
  • Manual focus assist (zoom-in) - love how this is implemented in HV G10.
  • HD SDI output

Unimportant

  • stills quality - I have D600 for that
  • XLR audio inputs- I do not mind synching in post
  • # of scene or white balance modes
  • WiFi, NFC

Candidates - m4/3, aka MFT

I am not sure this small sensor can deliver depth of field short enough to isolate the subject.  I also stumble every time I try to pronounce m4/3.  Anyway, GH2 is affordable, hacked and allegedly offers nice video quality, almost as good as that of GH3.

GH3 with 35-100 2.8 lens is currently my favorite.
..for the ultimate in quality and versatility with 1080p50/60 HD video encoded at bit rates up to 72Mbps the GH3 can't be beat.
BTW, Extended Tele Conversion mode might be useful!

Finally there is (rather there will be soon) GH4.  I do not care much for 4K, but I suspect video quality will be nothing short of awesome.  SDI connectors in the battery grip make camera ideal for live broadcasts.

Intriguing: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. But... no card formatting in camera?  And audio that bad...  And 30min running time on a battery.  Not good.  Note though that shallow depth of field...  I think m4/3 might work in the end...
Oh, and Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera is out of my price range.  And the mount is not active.  This review has interesting thoughts on MFT vs EF vs Nikon glass.

Candidates - APS-C Sensor

Not sure about recording length but NEX-6 is something I keep constantly in mind.  Recently announced A6000 is even more impressive ("fastest AF"!) but lacks HDMI out, right?

On the other hand Sony NEX-VG10/20/30 would be ideal - camcorder form factor, large sensor, interchangeable lenses.  Too bad these suffer from heavy moire.  Unclear on dynamic range and blow outs.  Yet this is my second favorite.  Oh! if shopped around these can be had under $2k.

I love Canons DSLRs since using these for stills in 200x but....

Comparisons

BMPCC vs GH3 vs 70D vs RX100
GH3 vs VG30

Test Plan

So I am renting GH3 and 35-100 2.8 over the weekend.  Plan to have it on one plate with G10 and just shoot, shoot shoot.
  • Video settings: standard, -3-3-3-3.
  • "50Mb/s modes only. Because the All Intra modes aren't high enough bit rate until the camera gets a hack."
  • "MOV 50Mb/s IPB"
  • Low light - 24fps, 1/48 exposure at f2.8 test MOV and AVCHD codecs

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment