February 14, 2014

Shooting Video with GH3 - Impressions

BorrowLenses.com delivered!
GH3 and 35-100 2.8 lens fit and finish are nice.  I'd say similar to my D600.  Feels good in the hand.  Light.  Lens focuses fast and quietly.  Bad news is the flip out display is wobly.

Almost immediately I bumped into GH3 stopping recording unexpectedly.  Scared me! Actually it's just that about 10 seconds into the recording display changes.  Weird.  They say this is to avoid burn-in on the OLED display.  To pop display back all you need to do is to either press display button or to wave your hand in front of the eye piece.  Hmm...

Then I realized my ability to focus camera is severely limited - GH3 - no expanded focus while recording!
GH3 Videographer's Assessment and The full Panasonic GH3 review

I started with these settings:
  • Container - MOV
  • Framerate - 24p, 50Mbps
  • Image settings - Standard customized: -3,-3,-3-3
  • ISO - 200..800
  • Aperture - f2.8
  • Exposure 1/50...1/200
All shooting done in video manual mode. The above proved to be good enough for both indoor and evening outdoor scenes. Firmware version is 1.1, not the latest.

And then I came home and started reviewing the recordings.  I am sitting here and smiling like and idiot.  The image quality is ... smooooth.  Gorgeous.  Pedestrian scenes look...  cinematic. Enough of this smiling!

Did not use ETC yet.

Next day I was shooting my son riding his scooter and bike.  Shot at 60fps in MOV, MP4 and AVCHD formats.  Tracking focus seem to work but not always.

Summary


Pros
  • fit and finish are very good.
  • image quality is amazing!
  • I did not see rolling shutter effects
  • I did not see aliasing artifacts
  • Nice GUI
  • Nice custom buttons - I assigned live histogram to Fn1 immediately.
  • Surprisingly long battery life - later noticed it is bigger than D600 battery so it is not that surprising.

Cons
  • moire artifacts
  • flip out screen is wobly.  Seems to be a common problem.
  • display changes 10 sec into recording.
  • 1.5-2 second curtailment at the end of the clip, no biggie.
  • No zebras, but blinky works in live view AND during recording  - need to enable it in the menu - good enough.
  • No focus peaking, bummer.
My single biggest outtake is that auto-focus would probably not work for me and I will need to learn to do it manually if I want to use GH3.  Need to think twice.

Should I look at VG30?


No comments:

Post a Comment