May 2, 2013

Seamless White


Recently I did my first full length portrait on a seamless white.  I like simplicity and uplifting spirit offered by seamless white.  I hope it will offer my customers a timeless look which is not likely to go out of fashion anytime soon.  It is also simple to implement.  I wish I had seamless paper roll.  In that case grey would be in option as well.  In my case I just used a king-size bedsheet - good enough if you want to just overexpose it, but not for anything else.
But first about my model.   Leif Hansson was pretty awesome - bright, inventive, easy to work with.  Extremely easy to direct.  I look forward to opportunity to shoot more images of Leif.
Now back to technique.  Here is Zack Arias' definitive Seamless White Tutorial.  Almost immediately I ran into the need to prevent  background flashes (2xSB800) from lighting the subject directly.  Zack uses folding doors for that.  I used the same material I used on the floor to create a V-flat which I used for this purpose.
My key light was a small flash (SB600) in a beauty dish - I discussed the dish in this blog before. For a catchlight I used another SB800 which also driving other flashes through CLS.


Here is my 1-car garage setup for this studio shot.  Note the V-flat on the left hiding the left background flash.  I used zip-ties as hinges for the V-flat - this made construction light and easy to build.  The right background flash is isolated from the subject by a screen - PVC frame with a ripstop nylon stretched on it.  On the left there is Adorama stand with convertible boom flying the dish - a boom is a must-have for effective use of the dish and this stand with ability to use boom as stand extension proved to be a great buy.  And yes, ceiling height is extremely limiting.  Also on the left is a nanostand with an SB800 CLS commander.
That's all there is to it!


I had my doubts that this cramped setup could handle more than one subject. Only to be proven wrong the very next weekend!  Here is a group shot with no less than 5 people in the same 1-car garage.  Dish is replaced with an umbrella on the right.  Background flashes were now mounted on the wall/shelf to free the floor space.  The rest is the same.  Oh!  And photog is my friend not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment