March 16, 2016

TheaterGames Production of НЕИЗВЕСТНЫЙ С ХВОСТОМ

TheaterGames retained me to shoot this season productions with НЕИЗВЕСТНЫЙ С ХВОСТОМ being the first one.  The enthusiasm of young actors is infectious.  Professionalism of adults involved is humbling for me. Masha and Marianna can keep tabs on this chaos and manage to get fantastic results.   Ilya Dimov's original music and performance are totally awesome.  As my kids would say.  My son is singing his pieces months after hearing those for the first time.

Here are some technicalities. What worked:
  • Planning the shoot and setting exposure in advance.  I was shooting at ISO400, f4.5-f5.  As usual 24fps, 1/48sec.
  • TheaterYou location is intimate and three cameras give a good coverage.  Canter one above the bleachers 12mm. I operated camera on the right.  Used 14-140mm zoom for the first time, mostly at around 35mm.  The camera on the left was fixed at its whidest zoom which is 28mm I think.
  • I used two audio recorders but ended up using only one audio track, from Zoom H1 positioned just three feet from the center of the stage.
  • In post: Audio: three (3!) layered compressors - first at 1:2 at -18dB, second at 10:1 at -9dB, third hard limiter at -6dB.
Still problematic.
  • Not happy with my operation of focus on a new 14-140mm zoom.
  • As always in the theater, setting white balance is a pain.
Thank you to TheaterGames!  Both myself and my son enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment