March 10, 2014

GH3 Audio Recording Levels for Internal and External Mics

.
I used a source of pink noise (my iPhone with Ambiance app)  positioned within 2 feet from GH3 to normalize the recording levels for all the options.  Here are the settings leading to the same perceived recording levels:

Microphone OptionGH3 mic level
GH3 built-in6
Takstar SG-598, +0dB6
Takstar SG-598, +10dB1

Shot at 24fps with Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm f2.8 lens, 70mm focal distance at f2.8, exposure at 1/50.  I used Natural profile adjusted at -3, -3, -3, -2.

What worked:
  • I am making progress, albeit slowly.
  • A couple of Linco Flora lights allowed me to shoot high key talking head.  One light used to light background.  Another one with only 1/2 bulbs on, as a key.  Fill from reflections.  Custom white balance seems to do the job.
  • Takstar SG-598 with +10dB bump sounded like a boom box.  I am OK with that in this case. Hypothesis: GH3 bumps lows at low mic level.
  • Grey card and live histogram to set the exposure level.
  • Auto focus with face recognition.

Problems I bumped into:
  • Mics pick all the noise sources - refrigerator, my HTPC, not to mentioned video editing workstation, nearby street.
  • I regularly forget to turn on the power of the external microphone.
  • To maintain the color light consistency I have to kill all lights but Linco Flora video lights.
  • Forgot about my face asymmetry - had to re-shoot facing the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment