May 21, 2010

Flash in the Sun

David Hobby's post was an inspiration for my next shoot.  Sun was used as a rim light, D90 built-in flash (fill) driving hand-held bare SB600 (key) through Nikon CLS.
What worked well:

  • Camera in full manual with preset ISO, aperture and exposure with 50mm f/1.4 AF-D lens (continuous 3D focus tracking) gave sharp images.
  • Fill flash blended well with sun with no color temperature issues.
  • I underexposed background by too much (more than one stop) but somewhat recovered it in  Lightroom - cudos to RAW.
What did not work:
  • Bare flash gives harsh shadows - duh
  • Chasing Daniel is fruitless.  Too many images had wrong light as a result.  I should wait for him to come to me.
  • As stated above - I am slow to change camera/flash settings which in this case resulted in underexposure.  I should pay more attention to histogram.
  • Fill (on camera flash) was of the same intensity as  key (hand-held SB600 to camera left).  Should have either turned it off completely or set to something really small.  I do not like two small specs reflected in the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment